Please tell me this is a joke. Please
When I was in college a few friends and I made a short student film. It wasnt much but it got us the uber-prestigious Geneva Student Choice Award, and $500 bucks.
Tags: Christianity, Contextualization, Culture, Funny, Mark Driscoll, Marshill, Messy Christianity
No Comments Yet
Ok so though Ive known about the article for about a week, I just getting around to reading the article about the driscoll in the NYT. Im not sure
Here is one very interesting quote from the article:
Human beings are totally corrupted by original sin and predestined for heaven or hell, no matter their earthly conduct. We all deserve eternal damnation, but God, in his inscrutable mercy, has granted the grace of salvation to an elect few.
But I thought to myself–did they just say that in the New York Times?!?
The article makes me proud and a bit sad.
I haven’t seen a Simpsons that made me laugh this much in a long time.
“I never knew that Mario was Italian, but I did think he looked like a pizza guy.”
Today we went to the 11, and 7pm worship gatherings at Sojourn Community Church.
I got to thinking about what was the same and what was different.
So, here are some of the differences and similarities between City Reformed and Sojourn Community.
1. Louder – A drum set, and a electric guitar means a louder service, with a bit more of a punch. Though the 7pm service was a bit more mellow than the 10am.
2. People – Its funny, I’m guessing that the average age in the 10am was actually older than our service. I think they have more long-term residents than we do, even if they are in the 20′s and 30′s.
3. Size – There were probably 300 people in the 10am and 80 in the 7pm, so they are bigger.
4. Building – The 930, though not simply a church building, is definitely nicer than the Frick Academy.
5. The Atmosphere – Most of the people were dressed more casually than CR, and the lighting in the building was a bit more stirring than the halogen gems that we rock.
6. Standing for the Bible Reading – I had thought about this before, and I really liked it.
7. Communion – Weekly (Let the gasps of utter horror from the “4 times a year because its special” folks begin.)
1. The “elements” – Call to Worship , Singing, Prayer, Bible Reading, Confession of sin, Assurance of Pardon, and a benediction.
2. Both Church leaders explain the service, and doesn’t assume that everyone is a part of the church subculture.
3. Deep sermons – you can tell that, both Matt, and Daniel are men that love the Bible.
4. Contextualized – Both CR and Sojourn are trying to take an ancient truth and make it as accessible as possible with out changing that truth.
5. Keller – North or South, Baptist or Presby. Tim Keller has a wide sphere of influence.
Now to the good stuff…
Who has the better facial hair?
Winner: Matt Koerber
Just check out that beard. Though a bit scarier in his picture, Matt clearly wins by the fact that he could stop a bullet with that facestache, and thus prevent a stray bullet from hitting a member of his church (talk about laying ones life down).
So if you like watching tv on you computer, when you want, with a minimal ads, and you have this little thing called a conscience and would rather not steal them, than Hulu is your dream application. Hulu is a new program similar to youtube that is in beta right now, it give you the freedom to watch tv shows online for free, whats the catch two really short ads in the middle, what the benefit, you arent stealing or getting ripped off to watch a little tv.
here is a embeded clip of a recent episode of the office.
Notice a couple of things:
It loads super fast, you can embed on a page, and the quality looks really good.